Ukbladesforum.co.uk

Ukbladesforum.co.uk (http://ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   How To's and How Do You's (http://ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   How to do filework (http://ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311)

TeeDee 05-10-2009 10:15 PM

Hats off to you Geoff ,i think that is probably , no, strike that . THAT IS the best tutorial i have ever seen on anything bushcraft related.

Thank you for taking the time to do that for the benefit of the forum.

Brilliant work .!!!!

robbi 05-10-2009 10:50 PM

hear hear !

Stabber 06-10-2009 12:27 AM

Looks great Geoff!! Thanks for sharin the pics!!:thumbsup:

keen-edge 08-10-2009 11:18 AM

awsome work going to give that a try can i ask when you start the other side do you start at the scribe you ignored on the first side ?thanks phil

FGYT 08-10-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a6cjn (Post 2793)
Excellent tutorial Geoff and the last pic really shows the high standard that can be achieved.
A couple of things I do which might help,
I started with a permanent marker but I found engineers layout fluid (or engineer's blue as I call it) better.
For marking out, I use a vernier but I also have some strips of steel, at 3,4,5 and 6mm wide which I find a little easier for marking out my spacings.
I'm sure this tutorial will be a great help to folk Geoff, well done mate.

Chris:)

i also have vernier and a vernier hight guage for mark out i use a granite floor tile as a surface plate
you can make scribe blocks out of scrap 01 to give vaious hights to mark edge center lines and ie grind a chisel edge on a bit of 4mm and harden you have a 4mm hight scribe etc you can even grind both edges to give various hights
I mostly use them to mark taper lines to grind to on tangs and blades
but saves having a vernier etc

supurb how to BTW with proper detail and tips etc :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ATB

Duncan

keen-edge 08-10-2009 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
had a go what you think:eek: i need some better tools:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Bernie Garland 08-10-2009 02:47 PM

Looking good :thumbsup:

Bernie

keen-edge 08-10-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie Garland (Post 3455)
Looking good :thumbsup:

Bernie

i give it me best shot :)

Geoff bos 08-10-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen-edge (Post 3454)
had a go what you think:eek: i need some better tools:rolleyes::thumbsup:

That looks great for a first attempt phil :thumbsup:
I dont file on the first line phil, i always leave a gap between the handle and the filework, but its up to you, if theres room, go for it:) its great to see someone having a go, not that difficult is it :)

Geoff.

keen-edge 08-10-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff bos (Post 3465)
That looks great for a first attempt phil :thumbsup:
I dont file on the first line phil, i always leave a gap between the handle and the filework, but its up to you, if theres room, go for it:) its great to see someone having a go, not that difficult is it :)

Geoff.

thanks geoff but looking at yours i have a long way to go yet to reach anything like yours m8 i need to get a few more files then i will give it another go thanks for the info buddy:thumbsup: