View Single Post
Old 28-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Hobbyist Maker

Cybertrix is on a distinguished road

Now for part two.

I have polished the blade to it's final finish and taped up the blade to protect it. I have annealed the brass pins so they have changed colour and will need to be cleaned up before they will fit in the holes. I just use a piece of 400 grit paper and give them a quick rub.

How to anneal brass, well I was told to gently heat the brass untill it turns golden brown and cool it rappidly. Most people treat it like copper and heat it until red and quench. I have tried both methods and they work equaly well. When working with pins it's hard to heat the whole pin and it has to be quenched quickly. I have an old pair of cheap needle nosed pliers that I can hold the middle of the pin if it's a very small one. The easiest way is to rest them on a fire brick and heat them gently so the gas torch doesn't blow them away, when they are red hot flick them into a container of water. If you miss the water, don't try to catch them.

Now is the best time to polish the front of the bolster, put the pins through them like before so they are polished equaly. The outside of the bolsters will need the holes chamfering, not too much on this knife as the bolsters will be staying close to the size they are now.

Now put everything together, if you have been accurate with the drilling, the pins will be reasonably tight as we have rubbed them up after annealing. I like to leave about 2mm of pin protruding from each side. I start hammering with the ball end of a ball pein hammer around the edge of the pin. Do a little on each side to start with, don't be too gentle as I have found that the brass will work harden very quickly. The more times you hit it, the sooner it will crack and if a piece breaks off you might be left with a small void. After I have them mushroomed I hit them hard on top with the flat of the hammer 2 or 3 times only.

Now I make sure the fit is OK and the bolsters are tight against the knife.

Now I gently nip them in a vice and file them down flat.

Then I flaten them off with some coarse paper taped to a flat surface.

This is all the finish they need for now, I like to take the profile down to the steel of the knifenow but I shape them after the handles have been fitted.

I hope this helps anyone whos interested in trying.