Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Workshop > How To's and How Do You's

How To's and How Do You's Need a helping hand? Want to offer a helping hand? This is the place to post your questions and/or tutorials about knife making.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM

greencloud is on a distinguished road
Default charcoal ht anyone?

With no convenient propane torch or reddies to get one, I'll be doing my first ht batch of 3 in the bbq and I'm hoping to benefit from others' experience. I've read a lot but still have questions on a few specifics so:

Firstly I'll be firing upin my little cast iron bbq. Will this withstand a good length of time with the bosses hairdrier beefing it up or do I need to cobble together something with fire cement lining/ insulation?

If I normalise a couple of times first, how long should I leave to cool? Of course depends on sizes so a rough idea for about 30 * 110 mm blade with stick tang? Do you find that normalising helps a lot to prevent warping?

I've gotten my head around critical temp and will do a veg oil quench but what state will this leave my blades in with scale etc?
I know I'll need to clean them up to see (I hope!) That lovely straw temper colour so what's the best way to do this when brittle? Will a soapy hand rub ( oo err missus ) with wet and dry do it or will they need to go back to the belt? I also read that ideally they should go from quench to temper without fully cooling so how do I manage that if they're a PITA to clean up?

Last bit I promise. .. given the usual tempering range for o1, and that I dont have a separate thermometer will an hour long soak at whatever temp the boss'oven (electric fan assisted) says is 200 -cooking foil wrapped of course- get me somewhere in the usable HRC range?

In a nutshell, please tell me in as much detail as you can bear about ht with a charcoal fire.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Laird Bowler

Mike Bowler has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencloud View Post
With no convenient propane torch or reddies to get one, I'll be doing my first ht batch of 3 in the bbq and I'm hoping to benefit from others' experience. I've read a lot but still have questions on a few specifics so:

Firstly I'll be firing upin my little cast iron bbq. Will this withstand a good length of time with the bosses hairdrier beefing it up or do I need to cobble together something with fire cement lining/ insulation?

If I normalise a couple of times first, how long should I leave to cool? Of course depends on sizes so a rough idea for about 30 * 110 mm blade with stick tang? Do you find that normalising helps a lot to prevent warping?

I've gotten my head around critical temp and will do a veg oil quench but what state will this leave my blades in with scale etc?
I know I'll need to clean them up to see (I hope!) That lovely straw temper colour so what's the best way to do this when brittle? Will a soapy hand rub ( oo err missus ) with wet and dry do it or will they need to go back to the belt? I also read that ideally they should go from quench to temper without fully cooling so how do I manage that if they're a PITA to clean up?

Last bit I promise. .. given the usual tempering range for o1, and that I dont have a separate thermometer will an hour long soak at whatever temp the boss'oven (electric fan assisted) says is 200 -cooking foil wrapped of course- get me somewhere in the usable HRC range?

In a nutshell, please tell me in as much detail as you can bear about ht with a charcoal fire.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy you must get the whole of the knives cherry red and then into oil .I use engine oil some use cooking oil or water and then clean blade then in the oven at 220c for 1 hr blade will go orangey/ginger colour clean blade when cold and handle
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks Mike.
Just to give me some idea, what do use to clean after the quench? Is it like a green sponge and dish soap job or more 200grit and elbow grease?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Laird Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencloud View Post
Thanks Mike.
Just to give me some idea, what do use to clean after the quench? Is it like a green sponge and dish soap job or more 200grit and elbow grease?
I use 120g and go down to 240g if you want shiny work your grits down to 1200
Old 25-11-2013, 10:27 PM

SEX.
That's the best analogy I can think of! I eventually lost my HT cherry and much like first nookie, it was a lot of fun, very satisfying and I realised that I'd been more nervous than I really needed to be.
I only managed a couple of snaps but I think everything went to plan. I got a decent temper colour but havent had time to clean up or put an edge on anything yet.

Any advice or comments will as always be more than welcome.

The kit laid out while the bbq was lighting up:

It was damn hard to get the colour showing under the kitchen led bulbs:
Old 26-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Laird Bowler

nice job