Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Workshop > How To's and How Do You's

How To's and How Do You's Need a helping hand? Want to offer a helping hand? This is the place to post your questions and/or tutorials about knife making.

Old 25-02-2014, 01:07 PM

greencloud is on a distinguished road
Default Sharpening for poor dummies

Hey up lads. I have an either / or question?

Background:
I have the freehand sharpening skills of a baboon on acid. Until I found and tried knifemaking sharp to me was 'not blunt'!! I currently have an el cheapo dual grit oilstone and a 4 grade diamond block (200 - 600). I can achieve 'not blunt' with either, but need to employ my basic lansky set to get anything near satisfying.

I understand that sharpening a single bevel is simpler so was considering making myself a 'proper scandi' to get the occasional freehand practice. Will it be possible to get up to shaving sharp or thereabouts with my basic stones or should I stick to the lansky for now?

Just to clarify, I don't want to buy proper stones just yet as my requirements for sheath leather & tools and some aluminium for my planned grinding jig have all my 'pocket money' taken up for several months. .....

cheers fellas,
Andy
Old 25-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Laird Bowler

Mike Bowler has disabled reputation

Andy I have one of thesesand find it's the best for the price
Old 25-02-2014, 05:55 PM

greencloud is on a distinguished road

I agree mate. I just have the standard kit and for me, the edge it gives is excellent. I will probably add an extra coarse diamond hone later to speed up the initial setting of the secondary bevel. Which kit do you have, and in your opinion do the other stones make a significant difference?

With a single flat bevel though, is my cheapo kit capable of a good edge (with lots of practice on my part) or should I not bother until I can add water stones?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Trebz is on a distinguished road

Oooohhhh...that's on my watch list now ! How many years have I wanted something like this hehehe