Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Workshop > Project Showcase

Project Showcase What's your latest project? It doesn't matter whether you are a full time professional or, part-time hobbyist. We'd love to see your work.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM

greencloud is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing puukko style WIP

Well folks, I thought I could do a WIP thread to chart the progress of my latest set to give me something to post and the regulars something to read.

I've been wanting to make another stick tang with a stacked spacer and my fishing buddy suggested I make a fillet knife for our trips, so being a bit dubious of my ability to make a proper fillet knife from o1 I decided to make a set of puukkos for our little group with the style at least of a fillet knife. There are 3 in our group but my brother has been hinting for a knife from me and promises to come fishing this summer so I marked out 5 blanks from a piece of 3x50x500 and set to chopping them out.

Second post with piccies to come tonight.....
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Laird Bowler

Mike Bowler has disabled reputation

please show us looking forward to seen them
Old 13-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Fanny Magnet

Bernie Garland is on a distinguished road

Look forward to it

Bernie
Old 13-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Got a bit sidetracked last night but here's the progress so far...

They're only very roughly hacked out with the angle grinder (killed my cheap tesco 'bargain' one) and the tangs need a fair bit removed but I burned off my markings so will probably scribe the outline before going at them again. Can you spot the odd one out where I squeezed a 5th out of the bar?

I snapped a quick second pic after cleaning one up a bit on the belt. Typically the one I picked up is the 'stubby' so the shape is a bit weird, but I quite like it.

As ever I'll value your opinions.
Andy
Old 18-03-2014, 10:31 PM

Well, not a huge amount of progress so far. I finished smoothing out the profiles and theyre all a little bit different to the last but for me that's part of the whole handmade thing. At least 3 are very close to the template anyway.
As you can see I started to set in the shoulders and have one finished profiling with the tang straightened.
All thoughts and especially criticism welcome.
Cheers,
Andy

Old 18-09-2014, 08:47 PM

How do'
Quite embarrassed to see quite how long ago I started these, but hey ho. Between work, two kids, getting our first puppy in May and a spot of summer fishing I been a busy boy!!

Anyway, I finished putting the initial grinds on all of these and have been giving the flats a 240 grit finish before heat treat. What I'm wondering at the moment is...

Do I bother taking the bevels from 100 grit grinding marks to the 240 or higher? I planned on a little more grinding after ht to reduce the secondary bevel anyway so is there any risk of stress risers etc from leaving the bevels at 100 grit for ht?

Also, opinions please: do you guys normally hand finish the bevels as well as the flats or just leave them with the belt finish? I only have belts to around 200 grit and can't really afford any new ones atm but when I sand the bevels (using a bit of 4mm o1 GFS as a block) I still tend to spoil my nice crisp transition lines.

Hope you're all keeping well.
Andy
Old 22-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Well boys, I have no less than 5 bronzed beauties perched on my workbench just begging for my (ahem) personal attention!

I got the turbo barbie going yesterday and gave them a nice couple of hours in the oven to follow so they came out nicely baked to 'dark straw'. I have some handle materials lined up and some pretty inventive spacers but a little finish grinding and a lot of hand finishing to do before I get to that bit!

Any thoughts on finishing bevels as above? Belt finish or work on my hand sanding technique?
All the best,
Andy
Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 PM

bondy is on a distinguished road

Hey up Andy are you saying they have been ground or need grinding ?
either way you should do as much finish grinding sanding before heat treat as possible.
Old 13-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Sorry, I tend to waffle a bit and not explain clearly.
I ground the bevels in and left about half a mil on the edge for the ht. I then took them back to the grinder after ht so I could take the edge down to nothing (or as close as I can) so I dont get a big secondary when sharpening.
My question was really two:
1 did I need to hand sand the bevels to finer grit before ht (in case the big scratches caused problems). I found that didn't make a difference. Of course I did sand the flats and it made life easier for when I finish them properly.

2 When you use finer belts, do you still hand rub the bevels or just leave them with the fine belt finish?

Beyond that I'm now starting on guards and handles and running into more issues!! More to post later.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 15-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Wow its a good job this forum goes at the same pace as my knifemaking!! What can I say, life gets in the way and I'm a lazy sod haha.

Anyway, I just finished the first blade of this set so thought I should pop back and post a couple of pics for anyone anyone that still passes by this forgotten gem of the tinterweb.

O1 with hammered finish flats and 'working polish'. Stainless bolster brazed on with "nessun dorma and tea tray" stacked spacer to oak handle.

No points for spotting my gigantic balls up.....