Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Cutting Edge > Multi-tools and SAKs

Old 29-06-2013, 11:07 PM

Gryllerised! is on a distinguished road
Default Hi! - I've been Gryllerised! Noob questions

Hi Sharp Dudes – my first post!

I guess I am here as a victim of Gerber’s marketing ploy: During a recent holiday, I impulse-purchased a Gerber® Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife (Serrated Edge) and Hands Free LED Torch combo pack (http://www.gerber-store.co.uk/knives-c1#t33).

Now I find myself drawn into reviews, websites and your forum! I’m already shopping around for a boat knife and perhaps a more serious outdoor EDC as well (I like the Spyderco knives and even saw that the new release Ultimate Pro seems to be a much better knife than mine. The Gerber® Bear Grylls Paracord Fixed Blade Knife got some very complimentary reviews too…)

Anyway, as a noob I realise I need to learn how to sharpen the blades properly at home and in the field. I’ve spotted the Smith pocket Pal and it seems to be well regarded for use with standard and serrated edges (which I have, thanks to Bear). http://www.smithsproducts.com/catego...ty-sharpeners/ other devices I have found include the Lansky pocket version and Lansky Croc Sticks (on Amazon for £18).

Any advice please, folks? Have you found a better portable sharpener than any of the above? Do you have a preference?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Snowleopard is on a distinguished road

Usually I carry a small leather strop for small knives, and a coarse sharpening stone for big knives and axes. The whole package weighs about 100g.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
Usually I carry a small leather strop for small knives, and a coarse sharpening stone for big knives and axes. The whole package weighs about 100g.
Thanks Snow! It's a little quiet here... I ordered the Lansky Croc Sticks and thought I could use my belt and car window for de-burring when back at base.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Laird Bowler

Mike Bowler has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryllerised! View Post
Hi Sharp Dudes – my first post!

I guess I am here as a victim of Gerber’s marketing ploy: During a recent holiday, I impulse-purchased a Gerber® Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife (Serrated Edge) and Hands Free LED Torch combo pack (http://www.gerber-store.co.uk/knives-c1#t33).

Now I find myself drawn into reviews, websites and your forum! I’m already shopping around for a boat knife and perhaps a more serious outdoor EDC as well (I like the Spyderco knives and even saw that the new release Ultimate Pro seems to be a much better knife than mine. The Gerber® Bear Grylls Paracord Fixed Blade Knife got some very complimentary reviews too…)

Anyway, as a noob I realise I need to learn how to sharpen the blades properly at home and in the field. I’ve spotted the Smith pocket Pal and it seems to be well regarded for use with standard and serrated edges (which I have, thanks to Bear). http://www.smithsproducts.com/catego...ty-sharpeners/ other devices I have found include the Lansky pocket version and Lansky Croc Sticks (on Amazon for £18).

Any advice please, folks? Have you found a better portable sharpener than any of the above? Do you have a preference?
hello and welcome to the forum
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Cheers Mike. What's your EDC sharpener?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Laird Bowler

Quote:
Cheers Mike. What's your EDC sharpener?
one of them buy you will have to look for the old ones on ebay the hs1 new version are made in china and are not the same
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 AM

I'm hoping the sticks will do the job for me. A better option than the Smiths or Lansky pocket sharpeners, apparently. I'm looking forward to learning a new skill!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Laird Bowler

Quote:
I'm hoping the sticks will do the job for me. A better option than the Smiths or Lansky pocket sharpeners, apparently. I'm looking forward to learning a new skill!
I've tried one or two sharpeners .what you need to do is find what works best for you.but don't get court up with the more you pay the better it will work .for folders I always use this and strop ,then you just need to use a pocket one .when needed
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Any old belt for stropping or is there something better to consider?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Laird Bowler

any bit of good belt leather or make your own get a strip of 3mm leather about 2" wide and 6-8" long glue it down to a bit of laminate or like and you have a good firm strop .take your time with it and work your blade on it .I use this to on the strop