Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Cutting Edge > Big Blades: Machetes, Pangas, Parangs and Axes

Old 15-01-2015, 11:15 AM

dogsoldier is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with BRK&T golok sheath from Heinnie Haynes

Hey there guy's.
I recently purchased a Bark river golok from Heinnie Haynes but I'm really quite peeved at the after sales customer service I'm getting from them.
The golok blade itself is fine, but the sheath is somewhat of another story.
I was so chuffed when I received the parcel because I've been after the BRK&T golok for a few years now, but couldn't find a supplier in the uk.
Anyway upon opening the package I was to say at the least "Gutted" to see the sheath was totally pant's in regards to it's quality control.

The entire edging has deep presser foot impression's along the whole circumference.
The front panel where the press stud is mounted has very deep mangled impression's from a worn backing board and the belt loop has the same impression's in a triangular shape.

What the hell Heinnie was thinking when they thought it was ok to ship out an inferior/damaged sheath I don't know.
But Olly from Heinnie seems to think it's acceptable to do so and think nothing of it.
I questioned Heinnie about this and sent them detailed photo's of the issue and the response I got was:-
You can return the sheath to us and we will send you out another one (Fair enough) but the sheath's we have in stock all have the same issue's (So what would be the point in sending back one to receive another in the same condition?)
I have never had cause to complain to Heinnie in the past, but now I have I seem to be getting the run around where they are shrugging off the issue...
I'm so glad I paid by paypal as it has taken for me to open a dispute to get some kind of a response from them where they will have no choice to stand up and listen to the matter in hand....

I'm just venting here guy's,, really quite annoyed that i'm being fobbed off and just want to let you all know what kind of experience i'm having with Heinnie at the moment..

I'll keep you updated as to the outcome.
Old 18-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Woolly

Tom is on a distinguished road

Hi Kev - Great shame when you are really looking forward to something and expectations are not met.

Been in similar positions myself, the old imagination goes to work, sets pretty high expectations and by the time your imagination has finished the contents of the package before you are perfect.

Oft reality is something totally different.

Appreciate you are disappointed, I'd be spitting feathers too.....but the above is something to bear in mind.
Can't attest to their service, never had dealings.

Once things calm down I sense you may have a new sheath project in the mix, have you considered Kydex

Cheers
Tom

'Make no little plans, they have no magic to stir menís blood'
Old 18-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Laird Bowler

Mike Bowler has disabled reputation

plenty guys make sheaths for there own knife making get a custom one made mate
Old 21-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Hi Kev - Great shame when you are really looking forward to something and expectations are not met.

Been in similar positions myself, the old imagination goes to work, sets pretty high expectations and by the time your imagination has finished the contents of the package before you are perfect.

Oft reality is something totally different.

Appreciate you are disappointed, I'd be spitting feathers too.....but the above is something to bear in mind.
Can't attest to their service, never had dealings.

Once things calm down I sense you may have a new sheath project in the mix, have you considered Kydex

Cheers
Tom
Tom,
I've never before had an issue with heinnie and the knives I've bought from them.
I've owned more than a few BRK&T knives with the sharpshooter sheath's and none of them have come with these mangled defect's...
I done a lot of research into the golok and knew what "Should" come well before the purchase.
But when I opened the box to find the sheath was in the state it is I was as you say spitting feather's.
When I got a reply from heinnie the response I got was quite condescending.
They have offered to exchange the sheath for another of the same model that they have in stock (Fair enough you may say) but they have also stated that the other sheath's they have in stock all have the same issue's/fault's, so it seems pretty pointless to return it to have another sent out in the same condition.
If you look on the heinnie site they are quite crafty to cover up the issue with the sheath.
They do this by only showing the rear of the sheath where the minimal marking/impression's are.
If they were to show the front of the sheath I feel they know they would have "Dead stock" on their hand's...

I know Kydex is a plausible option but isn't my thing m8.
Alway's found it to rattle too much.
I prefer the natural feel of leather.
Old 24-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Woolly

Tom is on a distinguished road

Hypothetically.....if a seller conceals a problem with an online sale using 'staged' photography and a buyer is unhappy, then the seller should provide a full refund including return shipping.

If however (Hypothetically) the seller refuses to refund (Which flies in the face of distance selling regulations and sale of goods act) some folks might consider posting pictures of said issue alongside the sellers logo perhaps, then forwarding a link to the aforementioned seller.

Thing is! Google search engine would soon pull up the link to the post alongside the sellers page.

Especially if you use wording such as:
Bark river golok from (seller) beware of issues with sheath and poor after sales service.

Some might go further and tweet it too, but what can you do?
Hypothetically that is.

Tom

'Make no little plans, they have no magic to stir menís blood'
Old 24-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Good point there Tom, might just do that...

I was being sent round in circles with Heinnie (their was or the highway so to speak) so I escalated the case to a claim and paypal have found in my favour.
I have just got to send back the sheath to get a refund so I can outsource a replacement...

Heinnie did say to use their "Free post" address but paypal advised against that option as there is no tracking/proof of delivery...
I can just imagine sending back the sheath and Heinnie drawing a blank on refunding me if I did use their free postal option...

I'm still feeling quite jaded about their after sales service as between my friend's, family and myself we have spent in excess of £3k between us during 2014 at Heinnie...
I hope I'm just the very rare case with this sort of issue at Heinnie, and even though paypal have given me a little justice regarding this matter, I Wont be going back again!!!
Old 25-01-2015, 07:41 AM

Stew has disabled reputation

It doesn't sound great. I think if it was me I would just keep the sheath and push for a discount on my next order - as they say they ca't replace with a good one. It would be a shame to not have a BRKT golok. I used to own one and regret having had to sell it on.