Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Workshop > How To's and How Do You's

How To's and How Do You's Need a helping hand? Want to offer a helping hand? This is the place to post your questions and/or tutorials about knife making.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Mike Bowler's Avatar
Mike Bowler Mike Bowler is offline
Laird Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 3,155
Mike Bowler has disabled reputation
Default plasticizing wood

I know Tom dose this but anyone do there own and how .Are there any resins in uk you can use .going to make my own vac chamber
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-11-2013, 06:32 PM
greencloud greencloud is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 63
greencloud is on a distinguished road
Default

What are your plans Mike?
I was tempted to jerry rig something with a brake bleeder pump and some ronseal rotten wood stuff I have but god knows when I'll get to it as I have much more online time than workshop time.....

I'd need to blag or save for the pump aswell. Best just crack on with that first heat treat eh?! (Hopefully tomorrow)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Bernie Garland's Avatar
Bernie Garland Bernie Garland is offline
Fanny Magnet

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Derby UK
Posts: 6,313
Bernie Garland is on a distinguished road
Default

Think its a cheaper set up buying the scales already done Mike, LoL

Bernie
__________________
Home of the Recurve Bushcraft Knife
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Mike Bowler's Avatar
Mike Bowler Mike Bowler is offline
Laird Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 3,155
Mike Bowler has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencloud View Post
What are your plans Mike?
I was tempted to jerry rig something with a brake bleeder pump and some ronseal rotten wood stuff I have but god knows when I'll get to it as I have much more online time than workshop time.....

I'd need to blag or save for the pump aswell. Best just crack on with that first heat treat eh?! (Hopefully tomorrow)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Mike Bowler's Avatar
Mike Bowler Mike Bowler is offline
Laird Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 3,155
Mike Bowler has disabled reputation
Default

a hot kilner bottle in boiling water and resin with wood inside close lid and it makes a vacuum take out of water and let cool leave for a week and it's done just need resin .jar cost 5 from sainsburys
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Stew's Avatar
Stew Stew is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 379
Stew has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bowler View Post
a hot kilner bottle in boiling water and resin with wood inside close lid and it makes a vacuum take out of water and let cool leave for a week and it's done just need resin .jar cost 5 from sainsburys
If it was that simple, don't you think that's what they would all be doing.

I'm sure that will work to a basic level but I doubt it will penetrate all the way through. If it only goes part way in, what happens when you then shape the scales afterwards - will you remove the stabilised layer?

You also need to look at what stabilising agent you're going to use. That's a minefield in itself!
__________________
Cheers, Stew.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Mike Bowler's Avatar
Mike Bowler Mike Bowler is offline
Laird Bowler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 3,155
Mike Bowler has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
If it was that simple, don't you think that's what they would all be doing.

I'm sure that will work to a basic level but I doubt it will penetrate all the way through. If it only goes part way in, what happens when you then shape the scales afterwards - will you remove the stabilised layer?

You also need to look at what stabilising agent you're going to use. That's a minefield in itself!
ok see where you coming from it's just I have a 2 off 2' x20" x 9" ash burl I wanted to cut up and make scales and blocks from it's solid burl all the way through
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Stew's Avatar
Stew Stew is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 379
Stew has disabled reputation
Default

It doesn't need to be stabilised unless its part rottern.....
__________________
Cheers, Stew.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Cybertrix's Avatar
Cybertrix Cybertrix is offline
Hobbyist Maker

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 436
Cybertrix is on a distinguished road
Default

I buy stabilised woods and I have a large collection of chunks of various kinds of wood and I have had a go at home stabilising with a break bleeder and a large glass jar full of wood hardener. While the results are not as good as plasticising I think they have all worked very well with one exception but that was the wood and not the method.

Well worth having a go.
__________________

JES Knives
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
choppedit choppedit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 62
choppedit is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Mike hear's my setup at the moment.



It's hard work getting a good vacuum but the wood hardener works well.
I have bought a vacuum from Ebay and waiting for a vacuum chamber from mesquic man and some cactus juice hardener.

Mark.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.