Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Cutting Edge > Big Blades: Machetes, Pangas, Parangs and Axes

Old 23-05-2013, 01:30 PM

LiamLynch is on a distinguished road
Default Kuhkri project

This one is still in the design stages and won't take off for a while but here it is anyway.
http://imageshack.us/a/img809/2496/photomay16183229.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/7370/photomay16190850.jpg
I'm going to have a 5mm O1 blade. I didn't put a scale in but it has roughly an 11" blade. I will have 304SS bolsters, dovetailed and a light coloured wood for the handles. Maybe olive wood or box elder burl, if I can afford either of them. The black line in the middle of the handle will be a palm ring, of Tasmanian oak probably. I'm trying to find out how to make a traditional sheath but instead of using leather over it I want to use stabilised ebony sheath scales to make it black. The chakmak and karda will have the same wood as the handle and will be 2mm O1, they are sound 4" in total. I will have a pouch for a sharpening stone on the sheath so I will probably replace the chakmak with a firesteel. Any help on this project would be greatly appreciated. I have two knives being made currently then another two to make before starting this project so it will be a while.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Snowleopard is on a distinguished road

They look nice!

Thanks for posting,

Joel