Go Back   Ukbladesforum.co.uk > The Workshop > Sheaths and Leatherwork

Sheaths and Leatherwork Everything you need to know about working with leather .... from tips & advice to photos of members work

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Hilbilly of the Midlands

townsend819 is on a distinguished road
Default Awl or Drill??

Im new to the world of leatherworking and before buying anything I am going through the motions of how I will make sheaths, possibles pouches etc start to finish, my question is, Awl or drill for stitching holes?? I dont own a pillar drill and not exactly a dab hand with a hand drill, so would it be easier to use an awl that you can get from leprevo or the bay, I just think that it must be a bit of a mean feat going through 1.5cm (5mil leather plus welt) or leather with effectively a pointy thing and keeping it strait.. which is best??

Cheers,

Will
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Scandinavian Scoundrel

SkogKniv has disabled reputation

I use a cordless freehand drill, takes a steady hand of course but you can work fast with it.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Jiggering Jigger

Gunwitch is on a distinguished road

For drilling i use one of these which, when i bought it 10 years ago, was cheaper than a dremel but you can use Dremel bits in it
Good for drilling through really thick sheaths like for axes, and you can use a small drill bit to get tight holes.
I use an awl for thin stuff and opening stitch holes.
It's all down to personal preference really. You get some who call you a heathen for drilling holes, and some like me who say sod it: If it works then do it
It's alot faster and easier on the wrists.
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Animals/crab.gifhttp://www.deviantart.com/download/2..._Mrichston.gif
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend819 View Post
Im new to the world of leatherworking and before buying anything I am going through the motions of how I will make sheaths, possibles pouches etc start to finish, my question is, Awl or drill for stitching holes?? I dont own a pillar drill and not exactly a dab hand with a hand drill, so would it be easier to use an awl that you can get from leprevo or the bay, I just think that it must be a bit of a mean feat going through 1.5cm (5mil leather plus welt) or leather with effectively a pointy thing and keeping it strait.. which is best??

Cheers,

Will
Just my opinion of course but pricking iron/ awl would be my advice
theres a guy on youtube called Nigel armitage who gives a masterclass in stitching that even though I've been doing leatherwork for years I learned how to PROPERLY stitch like a saddler